Monday, July 31, 2017

The Lawrence Tree...part II


Another version of the Lawrence Tree.

This time with a disposable camera I reloaded with old Tri-x and then dunked in caffenol.

I asked the docent at the Lawrence Ranch how many people ask to make a photo of this tree and he said "all of them".

If you look at the Georgia O'Keeffe painting, the tree appears to stand on its head. She had made notes about it and also saying that a certain museum had it displayed incorrectly. It's quite a story and a magnificent painting.

2 comments:

  1. It is interesting to me that you deliberately set out to make photographs of a specific tree with literary and pictorial associations. I have a whole Flickr album of trees which contains several of my all-time favorite images, but I'm pretty sure none were made with such deliberation. I periodically make resolutions to be more deliberate in my approach to photography, but it hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It kind of happened by accident that I was up there and realized the tree was nearby. But truly, I have made other "portraits" of trees with this one in mind.

    ReplyDelete